Friday, October 17, 2008

No Kool-Aid for me please!

Dear Emi,

I'm guessing in Sweden people can eat Fried Chicken and Watermelon with immunity--I'm bet there aren't all manner of racist associations with the food there. Unfortunately, here in the U.S. those food are loaded! (And not with vitamins, either!) And I don't think I'd even be able to properly explain the whole Kool-Aid thing to you, friend, but it's not good, no good at all really.

A collection of southern republicans decided that they would play with Photoshop last week and "riff" on the joke Obama made about not being the kind of face we are used to seeing on our currency. So these women, Emi, they made fake food stamps! With Obama's face surrounded by fried chicken, watermelon and ribs! And they published it! And they put there names on it! Then when they got busted by the national press for being ignorant, ill-advised and, well, not even really funny--they claimed that they didn't recognize that it was racist because they aren't racist! This is bad logic, Emi! I'm scared of people like this!


In any case, I think Obama looks more like a prime rib (medium-rare) kind of guy. And likely a Whole Foods shopper! If I had him over for dinner, I would definitely go Roasted Whole Sea Bass with Fennel, Lemon, White Wine and Capers. He would like the mignonette I would serve with my oysters on the half-shell! Not to knock traditional foods either--I bet Michelle makes killer candied yams and maybe even fried chicken because everyone has traditional foods passed from generation to generation, which is what makes us all human right? But these ladies got carried away! I'm definitely not drawing little old non-black ladies on fake currency with bowls of gelatin salad! Why? Because its not a knock, its what your mom and your grandma and maybe your great grandma made. And I love the culture of ALL households.

So, it seems, we've got 18 days left to go before the election in New York. It's going to be a white-knuckle ride. I finally managed to pull myself away from the news, youtube, political blogs and the like long enough to spend an evening making pumpkin pie, watching Grey's Anatomy and reading this terrible/wonderful novel for teens about vampires. The evening was delicious.

From New York,
Lisa

3 comments:

emi guner said...

I can't wait for the election. I'll celebrate by eating marshmallows,mayo and orange salad, a price dish in Springfield; OH, where Joe Plumber lives and I used to live.

Let's eat the fare of the defeated! Like some updated scalptaking

Lisa said...

This is the best idea ever. I am having a Fare of the Defeated dinner party! I love it.

Spam Casserole!

Wait, did you say Marshmallows/Mayo/Orange IN THE SAME DISH? If so, allow me to die in horror now. That's not right.

emi guner said...

yes, same dish. stating the obvious: these people are crazy.

another dish I might suggest: tuna casserole with potato chips and cambells cream of mushroom.