Friday, October 10, 2008

News. Coffee.

Dear Emi,

I feel like such a grownup!
(Oops, I AM a grownup!)

Earlier this week I subscribed to the New York Times and every morning when I plod down the stairs to grab my little blue bag full of the news, I remind me of my parents. And yes, there are a lot of things wrong with New York, but the NYTimes on your doorstep and a hot cup of coffee kind of help make up for them. But, friend, as much as I like my paper and coffee the headlines these days are kind of freaking me out. I wish I had subscribed during the Olympics!

"NATION WEIGHING GLOBAL APPROACH AS CHAOS SPREADS"
"ANOTHER AFTERNOON TURNS DARK AS WORRY SENDS STOCKS PLUNGING"
"KEEPING WARY EYE ON CRIME AS ECONOMY SINKS"

It feels like reading the headlines in some novel about the bad version of the future where everything has gone wrong except it's neither a novel nor the future. This isn't any fun at all. To be honest, Emi, I'd rather read the movie reviews today.

--L

1 comment:

emi guner said...

do like the rest of the intellectuals, go for the sunday edition only.